Croatia's Second City: Split


The view from the plane coming down into Split's tiny airport was a great introduction to Croatia's breathtaking coast and the dramatic mountain backdrop. After a quick pass through customs, a driver was waiting to take me through the modern part of the city towards the docks and old town.

Since weather forced me to depart for Croatia a day late, I missed a full 24 hours in the city. Luckily, the entry to the old town is just a five minute walk from the docks where I'd catch my boat to Hvar. This allowed me to get a brief look at the old town, built within the remains of the palace of Roman emperor Diocletian. I passed through an unassuming entry and down to underground passages filled with jewelry and trinket stalls before heading up to tight cobbled lanes that eventually opened up to charming squares that exposed ruins of the old empire. Time permitting, it would definitely be a place worth getting a little lost.

While it is a great gateway to the islands, don't let Split be a city you just pass through. Allow at least a day to soak up the best of what this port has to offer.




Comments

Popular Posts