Walk on the wild side at the new Haltia Finnish Nature Centre


After experiencing the magnificent Finnish summer, two things became very clear to me. The Finns are a beautiful, wonderfully mad bunch, and they have a special relationship with the natural world around them.

With somewhat limited time, I wanted to see some of Finland’s natural world, yet also remain close to Helsinki. As it turns out, that’s just what the new Haltia Finnish Nature Centre had in mind. 

Opened in May, the new Haltia Finnish Nature Center offers a chance to walk on the wild side in a ground-breaking ecologically friendly structure. No small feat in a land of more than 180,000 lakes, over 30 national parks and seemingly endless pristine coastline.

It was suggested that I take the train to Espoo and catch a bus to the centre. After a series of confusing signs and meeting the one person on the entire trip that didn’t know English (we managed with German, oddly enough), it’s safe to say the direct bus from Helsinki station would have been easier.

Arriving at Haltia, which lies at the edge of the Nuuksio Nature Park, I was immediately impressed. My guide, Aura, showed me around and gave me insight into not only the functionality of the centre, but also Finnish mythology. (In a “small world” moment, I’d later discover she had once visited my home state of Indiana.)

Architect Rainer Mahlamäki’s design, inspired by the Kalevala, the Finnish national epic, is primarily made from wood along with some natural stone and grass on the roof. It utilizes solar and geothermal energy for heating and cooling, making it 75% energy self-sufficient for heating, 100% for cooling.
 


The link to mythology is a key component. The building resembles the Goldeneye Duck that, according to myth, laid an egg from which the whole universe was created. That egg occupies the main exhibition hall and houses an installation by Finnish artist Osmo Rauhala, whose swans playing a game of chess provides another theory of creation.

A large panoramic video installation covers much of one wall. Aura explained, “If you go to a certain spot at a certain time of year, this is what you’re gonna see”, noting the absence of dramatic soundtracks or cute animal scenes. “So we don’t promise bears and those kind of things”.

Technology is an important part of Haltia, with an interactive floor map taking center stage. Children were asked what they’d most like to see in such a centre, which explains the bear’s den and video waterfall they can walk behind. There’s even a restaurant serving local, organic Finnish cuisine.

Of course, the best part lies outside of the centre. After an inspiring exhibition I walked right out into the park. I dipped my fingers in the cool lake and took to one of the smaller hiking trails to get up close and personal with Finland’s wild side.


No, I didn’t wander deep (it’s quite massive after all), nor did I see any of the famed Siberian Flying Squirrels. But, what I did experience was the simple joy of the outdoors and a blossoming love of this incredible country, amazed that it was possible to get lost in the wildness so close to the capital.

And, as I took out my iPhone to snap a few Instagram shots, I understood how nature and technology could work in harmony to create a lasting experience in the wild that could be shared with others.

Saturday, August 31st marks the first ever nationwide Finnish Nature Day, with primary festivities being held at Haltia.


.

Comments

Popular Posts