Discovering Bern - Switzerland's almost secret capital


I’m pretty sure I woke up at the Hotel Allegro with a smile on my face, recalling the warm and fuzzy feeling I had upon seeing the Alps from my window the evening before. Right as I was about to spring from bed with the giddiness of a schoolgirl, I heard the thunder; warm and fuzzy feeling gone.

My first words uttered, however, were more in line with those of a sailor. Bern had been on my “must-see” list for over a year and, though disappointed at the lack of sunshine, I was certainly not going to let the rain dampen the experience. However, it thoroughly soaked me. 

The day began with a city tour of the Swiss capital via scooter. Not with a Vespa as I imagined, but rather a small two-wheeled device that required a little footwork. Amazingly, I managed to get a fantastic tour of this charming city without injury.

Bern’s old town, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is filled with beautiful sandstone architecture, nearly four miles of shopping arcades, the Berner Cathedral, and the Zytglogge tower with clockwork from the 16th century. Legend says the town’s name came from the first animal founder Duke Berchthold V von Zähringen killed. Was it really a bear or just big dog?

The rain didn’t wash out Switzerland’s largest mass sporting event, the Bern Grand Prix. Each May runners take to the streets of the old town for “The Most Beautiful 10 Miles in the World”, an occasion that also sees the capital city bring out the canton flags.

Market day brings out fresh produce, flowers, strange meats, and some of the most fragrant lavender north of Provence. After sampling at 5th generation cheese maker Mike Glauser’s Jumi stall, I was convinced that the Swiss produce not only the best chocolate, but the best cheese as well.

One of the most prestigious spots in Bern is Bellevue Palace, located next to the House of Parliament. After checking out the view from the rooms, experiencing the impeccable service, and enjoying an outstanding meal at its five star La Terrasse restaurant, it’s pretty easy to see why. The King of Spain has just stayed there a week prior. 

The warm and fuzzy feeling came back at the Kornhauskeller, one of Bern’s trendy bars. Was it the ambience or the absinthe in the air? Either way this cozy cellar is a great place to wind things down, relaxing with old friends or making new ones.

After a delicious Sunday Brunch at the Schwellenmätteli, which I’ll pretend means “Swell Meal” for the moment, we were briefly rewarded with clear skies. After taking in stunning view of Bern from across the river at the bear pits, it was time to say goodbye, warm and fuzzy feeling fully intact.



The flags only come out on important occasions, which I'm fairly
sure includes my visit.

Bern's Zytglogge


View from Bellevue Palace


Runners in the Bern Grand Prix.
More information about Bern can be found at www.Bern.com 

Comments

Popular Posts