There's something eerily beautiful about Halle's Stadtgottesacker. Inspired by the Camposanto in Pisa, Italy, construction on the cemetery began just outside the city walls in 1557. Considered one of the most beautiful Renaissance cemeteries north of the Alps, it was the final resting place for more than 2,000 of Halle’s more prominent families in the 16th and 17th centuries. World War II bombing destroyed a portion of the cemetery in 1945 and the years under the DDR saw only further decay. Since reunification, restoration has continued on the cemetery and the beautifully adorned arcades.